Monday, November 16, 2015

Nothing Lasts Forever By: Sidney Sheldon

Sidney Sheldon.... I truly love you. I DO! only..... the last 2 books I have read by him have been.... Decent.
Usually I pick up a Sheldon Book, and I am done within 12 hours because it just CAPTURES YOU. Most (if not all) of his books feature a strong female lead, usually in some sort of position of power. Usually the main character is oozing confidence, brilliance, drive, and spunk; along with a fast moving plot, and some serious scandal, Sidney Sheldon is definitely on my Top 10 Favorite lists.
Then I read The Doomsday Conspiracy, and i'm sorry, but what a joke.
Then this book, which warranted its nto BAD in any way, it is definitely not up to his exceptionally high standards.
The story follows 3 women doctors in San Francisco, all surgeons, and all yearning for success while proving themselves in a male dominated field. Blah blah blah. The story line jumps around a bit and there is a trial and Dr. Taylor, the main chick, is accused of murdering a patient (which she did) but only because he asked.
Dr. Taft, don't even get me started on her..... What a bimbo. I know girls like this, and they give women a bad name. You know... the ones who use their looks and seduction to sleep their way through life. Not even in a cute way! In a WHORE way. I don't even recall anything remotely likeable about her.
Dr. Turner, is a pistol. She is the black female doctor among all the white doctors and is consistently proving herself and busting her ass. She had wit, intelligence, a story line that was really really excellent and developed (well except that mobster person, I don't see how that fit in..) UNTILL she goes and falls in love with Douche-y McDoucherson. Then she slowly becomes this needy sad thing, which is super pathetic, and it makes you wonder what Mr. Sheldon is trying to say....
I just did not enjoy this book. I didn't think it was bad, or a waste of my time, but chances are I will not pick this up again, and most definitely will keep it on my shelf (well stack) to collect dust. If it weren't for the fact that I am trying really hard to collect the complete works of the authors I LOVE, I would trade it in.
I just don't understand why these women were portrayed so INCOMPLETELY. They all had their moments of connection with the reader, their own story lines, a successful career, motivation, but they were all just blasé... They all needed like one more characteristic, or a more defined personality.
Heck, just read it, and tell me I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment