Monday, November 16, 2015

Breathless By: Dean Koontz

In Middle School and High School, I had this awesome friend, Katie.
Katie was OBSESSED with Dean Koontz (probably still is) and would go on long ass rants about how great he and his novels were and I was always so intrigued, as its the only thing she was SO passionate about.
So, I now have found 4 (on sale) Koontz novels, and chose Breathless, as my first, only because it was a gift and came in the mail. (I feel like it would be insulting not to).
I made the wrong call, or at least I hope.
What a dysfunctional story line. I mean, I get that the author was splitting up the novel by point of view, all the story lines connected at the end, but it was so haphazard.
One chapter you have this crazy dude who just murdered his twin brother and his wife (or did he? I don't even understand what he did there), next: an older doctor is chaos theory, who loves to gamble, a super tall homeless guy who had some sort of vision and is wandering across the land towards some unspecified destination (it later is identified), The vet, Cammy, and Grady who discovered these super interesting and altogether fascinating creatures whom they called Puzzle and riddle.
I'm probably even forgetting a whole story line at the moment....
But, he doesn't write long chapters you know, which is the way these types of novels work. Take Stephen king for example: Under the dome written in the same style but when its slower, or he is building tension, he will stretch out the chapters so you can really get to know them. When its the climax, action scene, or whatever, that is when he will do the 5 page chapters. (but his writing tends to be smaller as well).
Mr. Koontz, he had 5 page chapters with like sixe 14 writing. (which is an exaggeration). It was so rushed and disjointed that even when some tension was presented, the situation flipped perspectives so often that it didn't build like it should have.
Then come along Puzzle and Riddle who I picture as a white version of a really sleek and gangly orangutan, with human hands and feet and a cat nose. But I think I'm way off. They are these adorable creatures who get acquainted with Grady and his dog Merlin. They wind up talking and doing all sorts of harmless things, and then in the last chapter, there are like a bunch of them! They all just showed up out of the blue... and that was that.
I really felt this book had no ending. He just got tired of writing and didn't know what to do next ha ha. Though, it really wasn't awful, but the only reason I would ever read this again, is to figure out what the hell went down in the last 5-10 pages. Everything just hit the fan, but in like 7 different lines of thought. It was absurd really.
Its a dangerous thing when you pick up a book by an unknown author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment