Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Eat, Pray, Love by: Elizabeth Gilbert

Normally I have a zero tolerance towards anything that even borders on self-help book, and no matter how you perceive it, this book is definitely self-help, well self-meditation is more accurate (though that is essentially the same thing.) But this book BLEW MY MIND.
I have been focusing on books lately that inspire movies that I either love or movies that I really want to see, and let me tell you: read the books first!!! (duh.)
Eat Pray Love was HUGE a few years back when the movie came out (as I am sure you know) and I really wanted to see it but I am really glad I waited all these years so I could read the book first. This book is technically a memoir, but it reads more as a guideline on how to get your shit together. Essentially: Drop everything and go travel for a year. (Hear hear!)
Now of course there is so much more to it than that. The Author (Elizabeth Gilbert.. or Liz) spends a year of her life living in Italy, India, and finally Indonesia. In Italy she indulges in all pleasures, well besides the sexual kind. She binge eats, learns the beautiful language of Italian, and essentially does what she wants, when she wants. Sounds like a plan to me! I actually enjoyed this section of the book best. (mainly because the other 2 sections were all about religion and spirituality and that just is NOT my style), but as she describes her ordeal with this terrible divorce she is going through and splitting up with David (her post marriage hottie) she really describes this time as finding herself again and being independent. It was very inspiring and VERY well said.
Next is India, where she spends four months meditating. She spends a majority of her time at an Ashram in the rural area and meditates. And Meditates. And Meditates. Seriously. Its rather a dull section. (though of course she gets all in touch with herself and all that CRAP.) It really actually puts me off of meditating to be quite frank. All she writes is how it dredges up all your hurt and pain and insecurities, but then, ALAS! The golden light at the end.
Or whatever.
In Bali, she searches for balance been human desires (everything she indulged in while in Italy), and "divine transcendence." She spends much of her time helping a local young man learning English and becomes friends with an herb woman and her family. She relaxes, meditates, reads. I would go absolutely mental after a week.
But in the end she has rediscovered herself. Found a new man. Got her life in order. Looking back on this book I find I don't remember much of the plot (I had to keep re reading sections of the book just to write this) but I distinctly remember getting home after work, reading this book and falling asleep with it on my chest because I just COULD NOT put it down. Even now I think of this book and I am inspired. Maybe I should do something drastic in my life. Maybe I should travel to some exotic place and just indulge in life every once in a while. And yes. We all SHOULD. But where do we draw the line between indulgence, and gluttony?
Favorite Quote:
“People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. 
A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave. 
A soul mates purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master...”  



No comments:

Post a Comment