Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris

Also known as: The Sookie Stackhouse Novels, or the (Damn) Trueblood series.

Yes. It is official: I have finally finished the series! (can I just get a hell yeah real quick?!) Not that they are hard reads, they are actually incredibly easy and quick as F*** to read, there are just 13 of the damn books and that takes a minute to get through.
My original plan for this post was to have a quick blurb about each book and my qualms or reactions to the plot or drama or LACK there of, but as I am sitting down to do so, I find I don't care enough to do so. (oh the laziness of me!) But seriously, I began reading this series a little less than a year ago, and am only just now finishing so the beginning books are just not in my head anymore and the suspense has long since perished. (ha ha vampire jokes).
I am fairly positive you have either listened to some random person in your life go on and on about either these books or the STUPID TV show, Trueblood, read them yourselves, or you are guilty of being a fan of the show. (in which case YOU HAVE TO read them if only so you can get pissed off and rant and rave about how wrong the show gets everything, and that's just always fun), so you must know the general premise of the story. Sookie Stackhouse is a telepathic waitress working at Merlotte's bar in Bon Tempe Louisiana. She is semi antisocial, annoying as hell, and considered in the book to be all sorts of beautiful and cute and whatever. The series starts with her meeting Bill. Her first vampire she has met since their "coming out" 3 years prior, at least I thin it was 3. (Now, I saw a few episodes of the TV show through out the years, and Bill was poorly portrayed. He is supposed to be essentially tall, reserved, sweet, and old fashioned.) Anyways that's a whole other conversation, he gets in trouble with some drainers, and she helps him out and thus they fall in love blah blah blah. From then on its one huge roller coaster of supernatural adventures and escapades, most exciting, some ridiculous to even be reading, mostly entertaining.
First its the vampire politics in her little part of Louisiana, then it widens to the state, then the werewolves and shape shifters get involved, and they are actually very cool and interesting, then its the faeries. Literally. And THAT goes on for like 3 books too many I must say. Sure you find out she is part fairy so they are her relatives and all, but there are only so many ways you can talk about how inhuman they are before it becomes repetitive.
Throughout this all little ol' Sookie is bouncing through guys like a pinball machine (that's not quite fair, she only really bounces between 4 guys and between 13 books that's not bad at all, though its the same ones over and over and over and over...) and you want to just punch her and scream at her to make a decision, but she is fictional so you can't. Bollucks.
Each and every one of these books are full of plot twists and character deaths and all the stuff books need to be good, there's just WAY too much of it!
Side note: I hate when authors have so many ideas and instead of just writing a longer book, they cram it all into 300 pages and calls it a day. What's wrong with a long book??? Why is that something to be avoided or afraid of? Its like damn movie directors cutting out scenes so the movie is shorter ( though its not even 2 hours long!!!) I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND IT!!
So many events take place, so quickly, that your head literally starts spinning. Don't get me wrong! I did read them all, which means I did enjoy them, but if each book had about 50 more pages then you would have had some time to blink at least between explosions at vampire summits, vampire queens being dethroned, and torture by faeries instead of one head twist after another.

All in all it was entertaining and it passed the time. Will I read them again? probably not. Do I regret reading them? Not at all. But now I get to watch Trueblood and mock the horribleness of it even more than usual and that my friends: Priceless.

Its not all the books there but it was the best picture I could find. Frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment