Thursday, June 4, 2015

Twenties Girl By: Sophie Kinsella

As a huge fan of Sophie Kinsella, this book caught me completely off guard. My personal opinion about books is to never read the jacket sleeve. You may think that is bizarre, as how will you like the book or not, but I think it usually gives away too much about the book and I would rather be surprised. I stick to books that I have been recommended or books by authors I already admire.
So when I read this book and find out that it is about Lara and the fact that she can see her great aunt Sadie's ghost I was genuinely shocked. This was so far off base from what I usually expect from the author and to be honest for the first half of the book I was not impressed.
Sadie is only seen by Lara and although she died at 105 she returns as a young girl in her 20's thoroughly enjoying life and boy oh boy does she love to dance. Really gives you a small glimpse into how much fun the roaring 20's would have been to experience.
She is searching for a necklace that she loved more than anything and with the help of Lara they go on a quest to track it down.
It's actually a really beautiful book and probably one of my favorites by Sophie Kinsella. This woman who died had no life really left behind and its rather tragic. Later on you find out she is the subject of one of the most treasured pieces of art and everyone is awed and amazed by her beauty and anonymity. She left behind nothing in life except this painting and at the time of her death was quite forgotten and literally remembered by no one.
Its very sad to think about how true that must be for a large number of the elderly, hell even the general masses. Though this book brings with it tears and laughter and a lot of good humor, it has an unsettling quality to it because it speaks of these sad forgotten people, who we all have in our lives, and you really feel guilty, but in a good way I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment